[W]hen you compare the cost of food to your income, you can see why groceries are such a big part of the budget for many families. It’s easy to spend $200 or more each week to feed a family of three or more. However, there are ways you save money on the groceries you buy.
Tips on Saving Money on Groceries
While most people know you can save money if you use coupons, they may not realize that many of those coupons can be doubled. Some stores offer double and even triple coupon days if you know when to shop.
Another tip is to shop the ads. Get the circulars from your newspaper and plan your menu for the week based on what’s on sale.
Here are some more tips:
• Substitute meat from your meal at least once a week with another protein. Meat is one of the most expensive grocery items, so cutting back can help you save money.
• Shop generic. Name-brand items don’t taste a lot different from their generic counterparts. If you have one or two exceptions, that’s fine, but stick with generic or store brand for most items.
• Look for reduced price in-store. Many stores offer items at a reduced price which are not advertised in the ads. They may be called manager’s specials, clearance items or reduced for quick sale.
• Buy in bulk. Whenever possible, buy larger quantities, but only if you save money. You can also buy multiples when items are on sale, so you don’t have to pay full price later on.
• Use online apps. There are apps which provide discounts or allow you to compare prices. You can even use an app to find all of the ads for the week in your area.
Why It Helps Your Credit
You may wonder how saving money on groceries can help your credit. First, it gives you more money to spend on paying down debt. Second, it prevents you from using a credit card or missing a payment because you have to eat, and grocery bills often come before other bills.
[I]f you have a goal to improve your credit score for the new year, you need to set up steps to help you achieve this goal. For many, they read all kinds of information about how to get a good credit score, and it can be overwhelming. Sometimes, it can sound so easy but not […]
[T]here are three major credit reporting agencies: Experian, Equifax and TransUnion. All of them provide a credit report which lists your personal information and credit accounts. You can get one report for free each year or purchase extra reports through the agency sites. Many people just get one credit report, but you really should get […]
[A]s you get credit cards, you will notice they give you a credit limit. This is the maximum amount you can spend on the card without paying some of it off first. Credit card companies often increase your credit limit as you prove responsible handling the amount you have. You may wonder if more credit […]
[I]f you have bad credit, it can be difficult to qualify for a car loan. However, it’s not impossible. Before you go out and apply for money to purchase a vehicle, there are some things you should know. Check Your Credit Before you fill out any applications for car loans, you need to take a […]
[M]any people hear that they have bad credit, which means they haven’t always been responsible with their credit accounts. However, it is another situation entirely when a person is told they have no credit. You may wonder how that’s possible and what it really means for your future. No Credit Doesn’t Mean Never Any Credit […]
[T]ransUnion is one of the three credit bureaus which stores information about consumers and their credit history. It provides this information to creditors and to consumers. TransUnion was founded in 1968, and it now has more than 200 offices through the US and the world. How TransUnion is Different TransUnion is similar to the other […]
[E]quifax is one of the three major credit reporting agencies which provides information used on your credit report. It has a credit score which will impact your ability to get approved for new credit. All of these agencies aren’t the same, so here is some information you should know about Equifax. Equifax is headquartered out […]